Friday, November 02, 2007

Look, it's a Tiger; no, it's a Leopard; no, it's a paperweight, NO.....

Blog entry #2 about my brand new iMac. See the previous entry for background:

Aha, I found where they told me they hadn't installed Leopard on my new iMac. All I had to do is find the Leopard CD -- break the shrink-wrap license announcement thereby revealing the news obscured by the seal that even though Leopard had shipped, they hadn't installed in my new machine so I get to do the upgrade myself.

Gee Apple, you know how to show a geek a good time. Now Aunt Tilly who bought the iMac cause she heard it was a good system for a novice, is not going to be quite so thrilled. (-0 for Apple 'cause I already dinged 'em for this)

Reminds me of an old joke about a college professor who walked into the classroom and wrote on the board, "CS 150 will be meeting here rather than in Foster Hall room 35."

Anyway, I followed instructions.

The first thing I found out was that the Leopard update couldn't find my wireless mouse and keyboard. I had to boot back into Tiger, start the boot process, then quick turn off the mouse and keyboard so I could turn them back on when prompted to.

---oookay----

[Here passeth two hours.]

Finally the upgrade completes and automatically reboots my system. Wow, look there's the Leopard star-field background. I'm almost getting excited. Oops. Can't find the mouse. Turn off the mouse; turn off the keyboard; turn off the computer; turn on the computer; turn on the mouse when prompted; turn on the keyboard when prompted. Aha. It's up and asking me for my password.

So I entered the password. The screen goes pale blue. It's not nearly as attractive as the BSOD, but it will do. Then the Leopard background reappears and look there's a password prompt. Er...

I repeated the cycle many times just to be sure that I was really trapped in a loop. I was even able to verify that I was entering the password correctly because when I intentionally got it wrong, the dialog box did this cute little shake (I could almost hear it saying tsk, tsk..) and didn't cycle through the BSOF (that's "Frustration" rather than "Death") -10 for Apple.

Of course I tried variations on the theme, but it always ended back at the BSOF cycle. A visit to apple's web site(via my windows machine) yielded a couple of ideas [Look the "insert link" worked in Firefox on Windows -- take *that* safari]

When last seen, I held the 'C' down while restarting. This booted from the CD which started the upgrade process all over. I waited until it estimated 2 hours and 15 minutes, then headed for work where I'm entering this blog entry from a Windows machine using Firefox.

If that doesn't work the next step is to boot into single user mode and try to fix things from the command prompt.

Is Aunt Tilly having fun, yet?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey I just read your blog! I have some point corrections :-)

"annoy-your-customers-when-they're-ready-to-buy policy." They can't keep every combo in stock! -1 should be removed.

Agreed on the brain dead keyboard.

The twenty questions and picture are for your computer account and our address book. I agree on the -5 for no explanation, no optional, and likely reporting the data back to Apple.

Apple is likely selling you hardware that was manufactured (and imaged) before Leopard's GM. So your -16 should be a +1 for actually putting in the DVD for free. And then -1 for not telling you.

Just like menus, you need to rethink del and backspace. Sorry. -1 to somebody for making keyboards different some time ago.

And then -10 to Apple for giving you grief on the upgrade. -5 to you for immediately upgrading to a major release that even the Macophiles are waiting for 10.5.1. And I'll pre-give +5 to Apple for the great service they will give you when you bring the sucker into the Apple store.

I am upgrading tonight.

Cheers,
The guy who will buy your boat.