Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Getting better all the time

As always this works better if you read the blog in reverse order -- going back to "An out-of-box experience." I've been recording the impressions of a brand new iMac user.

Several people recommended Quicksilver for my new Mac. I finally got it installed and running yesterday, and you know what? I don't miss the start menu any more! Quicksilver is truly the missing link in MacOS.

And, since the Logitech keyboard has a real, live delete key, I'm running out of things to complain about.

Let the record show that Spaces combined with Windows Remote Desktop Client (RDC) running in full screen mode makes working remotely on a windows machine a pleasure. Take some time to configure RDC, though, it's defaults are silly, and because I grabbed the beta version it's documentation is all stubs. Unfortunately most of the Fn keys are interpreted locally rather than being sent to the windows machine. Maybe I'll have to get the non-beta version just to read the doc. There--I found something to complain about anyway -- even if it was Microsoft software.

2 comments:

phil varner said...

Thanks for the Quicksilver and RDC suggestions-- I'm going to try them out. I've been using VMWare Fusion and an XP image for Windows stuff, but maybe I'll start remoting into my work desktop. The most frustrating thing I've found so far with my MBP is the inability to send a middle click or both buttons click to terminal windows to paste... oh well.

Dale Wilson said...

I don't think RDC is a good alternative to running locally unless you have a *REALLY* high speed line. When I'm running RDC it's 'cause I need to do something work machine, not because I want to run a windows app.

I have VMWare, too and am planning to use it to run Windows (and Linux) when I get around to setting it up.

Dale