Saturday, December 10, 2005

Foot shooting

In my previous post I criticized ACE for allowing the programmer to shoot himself in the foot. I was wrong. The problem is not that ACE allows you to do dangerous things. The problem is it doesn't provide enough incentive to convince a lot of programmers NOT to do the dangerous things.

If I work really hard I can imagine a situation in which the only way to save my life would be to shoot myself in the foot. Witness the hiker a couple of years ago who cut off his trapped arm so he could hike out of the wilderness with the rest of his body parts still functioning. That doesn't mean that everyone who ventures into the wilderness should pack an amputation kit just in case, or if the do, it should be in a package that is clearly labled: "For emergency use only." Once you open the package, you should find another package that says, "No, this is not an emergency, do it the right way." Only after opening THAT package should you find the Acme self-amputation, foot-targeting, and dangerous OS functions kit. [Pat. Pending]

So, if you want thread A to kill thread B, all you need to do is call the:
I_AM_A_BLINKING_IDIOT_FOR_USING_THIS::kill_thread() method.

No comments: